Licensing is relatively a new concept in India. Many retailers and manufacturers have woken up to the concept, licensing of brands, sports, characters, entertainment series, celebrities, art, music and artists, events and so on are now becoming known in the domestic market. This has created immense opportunities for the global licensing fraternity to explore India.
- The concept of licensing is fast gaining acceptability with a number of international brands planning to cater to India via licensing.
- Licensing prospects now exist in all spheres in India - Manufacturers from various industry sectors including apparel, consumer goods, toys, gifts, accessories, sports are keen on taking licenses.
- The emergence of modern and more organized retail in India has set the pace for new collaborations between International Licensing companies and Indian business houses.
- Character and entertainment licensing has witnessed terrific activity.
- Children's entertainment market is steadily gaining pace.
Licensing in sports has also developed into a multibillion dollar systematic business in India with formation of various leagues.
- The attraction of licensing trademarks for business intentions appears to be at an all-time high.
- Many eminent personalities and fashion designers in India have started licensing their products to Business Houses who independently produce and sell on a large scale and give royalties to designers.